Friday, May 15, 2009

What it means to be a Mother


Being a mom means I never get to take baths alone. Never seeing the bottom of the laundry baskets. Never sleeping alone in our bed without a child crawling between us in the middle of the night. It's constant testing, testing testing how far can I push mom. It's forcing a child to taste the apple before they say they don't like it. It's standing in a room alone having a silent temper-tantrum and wondering if you're the only mom in the world who questions if she'll be enough and is she doing this right and how much more can I take. It is standing by what you said even if it would be easier to just give them their way. It's trying to be fair and teach at the same time that life isn't always fair. It's all consuming, never ending.
Being a mom means endless kisses and hugs. Always being told you look pretty. Always being needed and wanted. Being trusted without question. Having the power to fix anything. It's knowing that they chose you. Before we ever came here we must have been such close friends, for them to want to be my children. It's looking in their eyes and knowing that they are the children of our Heavenly Father and that he believed in me, he had faith in me that I could teach his children and show them the way. I said I could! He has blessed me with five of the most precious children, what more could I ask for?

3 comments:

  1. This is great Laura! I'm so glad that you have your own blog. I love what you wrote about being a mom, especially the fact that God has faith in us to raise his children. I would love to correspond with you by email - my address is godismydelight@yahoo.com. Thanks for all of your kind comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you are a terrific mother. It is obvious from reading you love your life and all of the gifts that come with it. Matt is such a great guy, you're right. How you are able to juggle being a mother of 5 with seemingly such ease, I'll never know. Dare I say you make it look easy. Much like Eric Clapton makes the guitar seem easy. Rock On!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, this was a really nice blog and makes me even more excited about my new role as a mom!

    ReplyDelete